“In 1943, President Franklin D. Roosevelt designated March as Red Cross Month. Since that time, all of our U.S. presidents have designated March as Red Cross Month to recognize how our organization helps people across the country and around the world,” says the American Red Cross. To celebrate Red Cross Month, my Toastmasters club, Gwinnett Technical College Students’ Toastmasters, the Gwinnett Technical College SkillsUSA Club, and I are teaming up to host a blood drive on Friday, March 1, 2019!
Blood Drive Details
DATE: Friday, March 1, 2019
TIME: 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM
LOCATION: Gwinnett Technical College – Building 100 Room 401
ADDRESS: 5150 Sugarloaf Parkway, Lawrenceville, GA 30043
According to the American Red Cross, “every day in the U.S., approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed. That means nearly every two seconds, someone needs blood.” While our drive alone cannot help every patient in need, we can still make a significant difference in ~90+ patients’ lives by collecting at least 30 units of blood next month. We need people like YOU to make this possible!
Why You Should Donate Blood
You should donate blood because . . .
- there is no substitute for blood
- every donation can help save up to three lives
- blood is perishable
- all blood types are needed every day
3 Ways You Can Help Us Achieve Our Goal
1. Make an Appointment to Donate Blood
Appointments help us to keep track of how many staff members, volunteers, supplies, etc. we will need for our blood drive.
To make an appointment:
- Go to www.RedCrossBlood.org.
- Under “Find a Blood Drive,” enter the sponsor code GWINT in the text field.
- Click on “Gwinnett Tech/100.”
- Select a time and the type of blood donation you want to make.
- Click “Sign In” if you have a Red Cross account or “Create My Account” if you do not have a Red Cross account.
- Complete the form and click “Confirm Appointment.”
Note: If you will only be available at a specific time on Friday, March 1st yet you are not able to make an appointment for that time, then please send me an email at [email has been removed] to let me know. Be sure to include your time(s) of availability in the email.
2. Encourage Others to Donate Blood
Tell your family, friends, co-workers, peers, etc. about this event, and encourage them to make an appointment to donate blood. Click on one of the social icons on the left or under “share” at the bottom of this post to share this blog post with your followers on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, or LinkedIn and to invite them to come to our blood drive. When telling others about this event, share your reason for being a first-time donor or regular donor to educate them about the importance of blood donations and to motivate them to donate too!
Note: For eligibility questions, please call 1-866-236-3276 to speak with a Red Cross representative.
3. Volunteer at our Blood Drive
If you are not eligible to donate blood but would still like to help out with this drive, then you can volunteer to help with the following tasks:
- Set Up: Put up decorations, organize the tables and chairs, set up the various stations, etc.
- Registration: Help donors sign in and ensure they have completed a RapidPass or read through the pre-donation materials
- Canteen: Pass out refreshments to donors and keep them company while they rest
- Break Down: Help clean up and put the room back to its original state
Simply send me an email at [email has been removed] with your times of availability (e.g. 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM) and what task(s) you would like to help us with on Friday, March 1st.
Incentives for Donors
To show our appreciation and thanks, we will be giving out free T-shirts to everyone who donates blood at our drive on Friday, March 1, 2019. Donors will also be entered into our raffles for a chance to win various prizes such as gift cards and gift baskets. Furthermore, we will have a photo booth and photo props for all donors to use to capture this special moment by getting their picture taken.
Join me in celebrating Red Cross month by donating blood at our drive on Friday, March 1, 2019!
“What greater bliss than to look back on days spent in usefulness, in doing good to those around us.”